Does packing a lunch save money ?

August 20, 2013

in Awesome Deals to Grab,Lunch box ideas

Does packing a lunch save money? Are you packing school lunches this year??  We always pack lunches!  It takes a little extra time, but the payoff is huge!!  At my kids school lunches are $2.50!!!!  This year were are starting a series “What’s in the bag” I hope you will participate by sending us your lunch box pictues and ideas!!  Below is a break down of how much I would pay for lunches, versus how much I pay!

Cost for School to provide lunches for my (4) girlies

DAILY: $2.50 x 4= $10 A DAY!
WEEKLY: $10 x 5= $50 A WEEK!
MONTHLY: $50 x 4= $200 A MONTH!

*Way too much for my budget!!  A packed lunch usually cost me around 75¢ or less!

Cost for Momma’s Packed Lunch Special
DAILY: 75¢ x 4= $3 A DAY (Usually much lower!  This is a worst case scenario)
WEEKLY: $3 x 5= $15 A WEEK
MONTHLY: $15 x 4= $60 A MONTH/

*Now that’s more like it!!  What do you think?  Does packing a lunch Save Money ?

A couple of years ago at a pre-K school meeting, they had a school nutritionist come and speak about school lunches…. She was talking about the benefits and value of purchasing a school lunch.  And one of her selling points was how affordable they were!  HA!  Of course, when they gave us the opportunity to ask questions…I had to speak up!  I explained that we chose to pack lunches because $10 a day was not affordable for our family!  She actually said that I could not pack a nutritional lunch for less than $2.50!!  I was livid to say the least!!  However, I remained calm:)  I simply let her know that through couponing & shopping the sales, that it was VERY possible to pack a nutritional and tasty lunch for MUCH less than $2.50!

Stay tuned for our “Whats in the bag Series”!
lunch box ideas

{ 6 comments }

annatanksley August 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I DON’T SEE $2.50 BEING THAT HIGH FOR A MEAL WHEN YOU CAN GET MEAT,2VEGGIES OR 2 FRUIT OR 1VEGGIE AND 1 FRUIT AND MILK. IF YOU GO TO A FAST FOOD OR RESTURANT YOU HAVE TO PAY BETWEEN $4+ TO$7.00 FOR A MEAL.

The Q Tipping Mom August 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

They aren’t taking fast food for lunch;) They are taking healthy meals! I say, if you can afford it, then go for it! As for me & my bunch. Its just too expensive:)

Cara August 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I totally agree with you. For one child, $2.50 a lunch is cheap! But when you have 4 kids, like myself, that’s $10 a day just on lunch. I agree, packing is the way to go. Plus, you don’t know what the kids are eating. I was shocked when my kids first started school. They still had chips, ice cream, chocolate milk and a bunch of other junk available.

Thank you for posting this. I always am looking for new ideas.

Heather August 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Having worked for a company that provided hot lunches, I can tell you that it’s scary what is done to meet the nutritional requirements. As an example, if you give a child a 1/8 pie slice of a 14 inch pizza with extra thick dough, extra sauce and 1.5 times the amount of cheese that would be on a normal pizza, you’ve filled the veggie, dairy and grain requirements for that meal.

I’m sorry, but I’ll stick to packing nutritious meals for my kids! And you’re right, it’s definitely more cost effective to pack from home! Sure, $2.50 may not seem like that much, but I highly doubt you’re going and buying fast food for 4 kids daily, so that kind of makes that argument irrelevant!

Monika August 12, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I LOVE this idea and the savings in it! I have a daughter going into pre-k and have considered her taking her lunch because of being afraid she won’t eat what they offer in the lunchroom.

Melissa Bybee-Fields August 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

We take lunches too. My son is a picky eater and I’m sure I wasted a lot of money on lunches that he didn’t eat. $2.50 isn’t that much but when you think about it everyday over the entire school year it is a lot of money for those of us who live paycheck to paycheck. We do send money on days when they are having something he likes, especially PIZZA day!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: